Markey Township


Contact Information


Tina Wright

Office Hours

Tuesday & Thursday 10:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m.
Approximate response time to all emails or phone calls will be 1 to 2 business days.

Frequently Asked Questions

Property Site Visits

The State Tax Commission recommends all properties be re-inspected every 5 years to update property information and assure more accurate and equitable assessments. The Assessor will be conducting inspections in the Higgins Lake Forest Estates in 2024. You will receive a letter prior to her arrival with a questionnaire to help verify some basic information about your property and give you the opportunity to opt out of the onsite inspection. During the exterior inspection the assessor will update property record information, photos, and sketches. If no one is home, a business card will be left on the door letting you know she was there that day.

Am I required to file a Property Transfer Affidavit?

Yes. All property transfers of ownership occurring in the State of Michigan since 1994 must be reported on a Property Transfer Affidavit form to the local Assessing Office within 45 days of sale or transfer to avoid penalties

What is a Principal Residence

If you own and occupy your residence, it is exempt from the 18 mill school operating tax. To claim an exemption, complete the Principal Residence Exemption form (PDF) and return it along with a copy of the front and back of your driver’s license for each person and 1 of the following documents to verify occupancy.

  1. A cancelled check listing the property address (please black out all other information except the property address and date);
  2. A statement such as medical, bank or charge account (only the portion showing your mailing address and date need to be submitted);
  3. Your income tax return showing the mailing address (please black out all other information except the mailing address and date);
  4. An insurance policy (only the portion showing your mailing address and date need be submitted).
I moved and no longer live at the home I claimed as my principal residence, what do I need to do?

You are required to file a Request to Rescind Principal Residence Exemption form (PDF) when you no longer own and occupy the property as your principal residence. The exemption will be removed December 31 of the year you rescind the exemption.